(Bloomberg) — OPEC+ will pause output increases during the first quarter — after making another modest hike next month — as the group balances its push for market share against signs of an emerging surplus.
Key members led by Saudi Arabia agreed during a video conference on Sunday to revive 137,000 barrels a day next month, matching increases scheduled for October and November, then take a January-to-March hiatus. The first quarter is normally a period of weaker demand and delegates said the decision to pause from January reflects an expectation for a seasonal slowdown.
Most Read from Bloomberg
However, it also comes during a period of uncertainty for oil traders. Sanctions on Russia, co-leader of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and its allies, have created question marks about Moscow’s supply prospects. At the same time, traders are pointing to a ballooning glut that’s only expected to get bigger going into next year.
The pause “is certainly another plot twist, but I think a prudent one given the supply picture uncertainty for the first quarter,” said Helima Croft, head of commodity strategy at RBC Capital.
While the sanctions on Russia helped support prices after they dropped to a five-month low, one delegate said earlier on Sunday that it was too soon for OPEC+ to gauge the overall market impact of the measures.
The January-to-March pause will be the group’s first break from adding barrels since they began a rapid restoration of halted supplies in April.
“OPEC+ is blinking but it’s a calculated blink,” said Jorge Leon, an analyst at consultant Rystad Energy AS who previously worked in the OPEC Secretariat. “Sanctions on Russian producers have injected a layer of uncertainty into supply forecasts.”
Taking a breather early next year will leave the eight nations with roughly 1.2 million barrels a day of the current supply tranche still to restore. Delegates said there was widespread support for Sunday’s decision.
Brent crude futures are down about 13% this year, settling below $65 a barrel on Friday. As well as the sanctions on Russia, they’ve also drawn support from a one-year truce on trade tariffs reached last week between Washington and Beijing.
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman will head to Washington later this month to meet President Donald Trump, who has repeatedly called on OPEC to help bring down fuel prices.